Treatment of Head Lice Using Essential Oils
Head Lice can affect everyone. It knows no race, sex, nationality, or social status. Our children, preschool and elementary, are more prone to becoming a host for Head Lice because of their sharing of personal items and touching of heads.
After you have had your time of freaking out, there are steps that you must take to rid your child and all possessions in your home of Head Lice. You must treat every head; wash all bed linens/blankets, towels, and clothes worn in the last 3-4 days. You must treat all furniture, mattresses, and toys. It is not an easy task, but if you do all that is needed you will remove the Head lice from your home and from the head of your child.
A piece of information to remember: The adult louse can live from 25-30 days while on the human host. It will die within 1-2 days when off the host. The egg will hatch within 7 -10 days.
Use the Head Lice Treatment Blend (Shampoo) and the Head Lice Rinse, found below, each day for 10-14 days. Repeat all of the steps until all signs of Head Lice and eggs are gone. If you decide not to use the nit comb to remove the eggs from the hair shaft, then remember that a live egg is found on the hair shaft close to the scalp. If the egg is 1/8 of an inch or more from the scalp then the egg is dead.
Head Lice Treatment Blend (Shampoo):
- 4 drops Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree Oil)
- 4 drops Thyme
- 2 drops Lavender
- 2 drops Geranium
Make a 50/50 solution of the above oils with fatty oil such as Coconut, Almond, Olive or Sunflower Oil. Apply 1 teaspoon of the mixture to the scalp. Massage the mixture over the entire scalp and hair. Cover the head with a shower cap and leave for at least 30 minutes. Bending over the sink, wash the hair and rinse well with water. DO NOT wash hair in the shower as the lice may cling to other body hairs.
After washing the hair, rinse with the following rinse.
Head Lice Rinse:
- 2 drops Rosemary
- 2 drops Clove
- 2 drops Peppermint
- ½ oz. vinegar
- 8 oz. water
Place all of the above in a container with a watertight lid. Shake well and vigorously. Pour solution over the hair making sure every hair strand is covered. Rinse with water and dry naturally.
Steps for you home:
- Wash (with the hottest water possible) and dry (with the highest heat setting possible) all items of clothing, bed linens, blankets, towels that have been used by members of the family within the last 3-4 days.
- Place all non-washable items in a plastic bag(s); seal the bag(s) and store for 2 weeks. Non-washable clothes can be taken to the dry cleaners.
- Soak all brushes and combs in hot water with Thieves Household Cleaner for at least 10 minutes.
- Vacuum floors, rugs, all furniture and all mattresses
- If you have an ultra-sonic or cold – air essential oil diffuser, diffuse Melrose, Purification, Clarity and/or Peppermint 3-4 times daily for 10 minute intervals.